God always pops up in strange places. One of the places I saw him was in the new movie Alice in Wonderland. A part of the movie I enjoyed is when Alice says, “I believe six impossible things before breakfast,” and Johnny Depp responds as only can, “That is an excellent practice.” I find that my core beliefs containing impossible things.
1. Jesus is 100% God and 100% man.
2. Humans have freewill and God is totally in control
3. Three coexistent beings exist as one substance and still maintain their individual natures as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
4. A virgin can have a baby
5. An all-powerful God can be all good in the face of evil
6. The dead can come back to life
Logical impossibilities I will admit, at least to our finite logic, but so is slaying the Jabberwocky.
A second part I like was when Absalom the caterpillar tells Alice that, “You are more Alice than you were before, in fact you are very nearly Alice now.” When I sin I become something much less than the person God intended me to be. When I allow Christ to live through me, I become much more myself or very nearly myself. Only when I die will I become my real self, when all the impurities are stripped away and I am clothed in all the splendor and glory that God intended me to have. Much like a caterpillar turning into a butterfly.